Students travelling to Korea for a period exceeding 90 days are required to apply for a VISA (at a Korean Embassy/Consulate in your legal country of residence) and an Alien Registration Card (in Korea upon arrival).
VISA (to be applied locally)
1. One completed VISA application form (Download) with one coloured, passport-sized photo.
2. Original passport with at least 6 months validity and a blank page for the VISA stamp1.
3. Certificate of school record: One school letter that states name of applicant, passport number, student status, entry level/ courses enrolled and exchange programme (original)
4. Certificate of Admission from host school in Korea (original)
5. Proof of funding: Applicant's recent last 3 months bank statements (original and copy).
6. Proof of departure: flight itinerary or ticket showing Applicant’s entry and departure flights from South Korea
7. Processing fee:
1. Single-entry VISA
2. Multi-entry VISA
Allows for a single entry into Korea within the valid period (about 3 months)
Allows for multiple entries into Korea within the valid period (i.e. you can leave Korea for another country and return using the same VISA)
*Do note that different fees are charged for certain nationalities.
Visa fees are payable in cash only and non-refundable.
Flying Chalks’ recommendation: Should you not have any intentions to travel to another country (from Korea) within the first 90 days, apply for the single-entry VISA to save some money!
For more information, check the Korean government immigration website here. Click here and input your details to check if you require other forms!
You can find the Korean Embassy or Consulate closest to you here! Visit this website to check if you require a VISA and click here for the procedures to apply for a visa to South Korea!
For Singaporeans only:
You will also need to bring
· Student pass / NRIC in Singapore (original and copy)
· One copy of re-entry permit to Singapore (Applicable to Singapore PR ONLY)
Where to apply: The Korean embassy is located at 47 Scotts Rd, Singapore 228233, walking distance from Newton MRT station. (include google map)
Contact number: 6256 1188
How to apply: Walk-in, no appointment. Submission may be done on someone's behalf (no authorization letter is required)
Do note that the operating hours for VISA application & collection are from 9am-11.30am, Monday to Friday ONLY. The application will take about 4 working days to be processed.
Alien Registration Card (to be applied in Korea)
Foreigners who will be staying in Korea for more than 90 days are required to apply for the Alien Registration Card. Foreigners must register themselves within 90 days from their date of arrival. Please prepare the necessary documents and visit the local immigration office or branch office under relevant jurisdiction for the application.
- Application form (can be obtained and filled in at the immigration office)
- 2 colour passport-sized photos (3x4cm)
- Relevant school documents for stay in Korea
- Application fee
How to get there
Seoul-si Yangcheon-gu Sinjeong 6-dong 319-2
At Omokgyo (Mok-dong Stadium) Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 7. Go straight for about 10 minutes
Seoul-si Jongno-gu Samil-ro 12
Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 5
City Air Terminal
Seoul-si Gangnam-gu Asem-gil Street. 53 (Samseong-dong 159-6)
Samseong Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 5 or 6
Incheon-si Jung-gu Hangdong 7-ga 1-31 (Seohae-ro 213)
Dongincheon Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 4. Walk out from Dongincheon underground shopping district, Exit 8. Take Bus 12 or 24 at Dongincheon Station Bus Stop to immigration office
Incheon Intl. Airport Branch
Incheon-si Jung-gu Unseo-dong 2172-1
Passenger Terminal, in front of counter G(3F)
Busan-si Jung-gu Jungang-dong 4-ga 17-26 (Chungjang-ro 14)
Jungang Station (Busan Subway Line 1), Exit 10, 12 or 14). 10 minutes on foot
For more information, visit: